1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
300g plain flour
Oven: Gas mark 5, 190C
- With a wooden spoon cream together the butter and sugar and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Again with a wooden spoon mix in the whole egg and the egg yolk. Add the vanilla essence and the lemon rind. Stir the mixture well.
- Sift the flour over the mixture and stir to blend. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 3mm thick.
- Stamp out shapes with floured cookie cutters.
- Bake for about 8 mins until lightly coloured. Transfer to a baking tray and leave to cool completely before decorating.